Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Blog 3

I find the relationship between Dan Hole and Coach “Icko” is quite interesting, to put it without bias. At times it annoys me with its immaturity, but when I’m not sick of it, it sometimes manages to make me laugh. I’d like to take some time to dissect a few snippets of dialogue that occured between the two characters:
When Coach Icko wants to turn Dan Hole into a “a regular guy who’s able to converse with his peers”, the book states that his approach is to demand “ten push-ups every time he uses a word he doesn’t understand”. Dan Hole is complaining one day and states “ I’m punished for bringing aristocratic flair to the language and vocabulary of these aquatic Cro-Magnons?” he says. Icko replies with “You’re lucky I know ‘aristocratic.’ Gimme ten more.”
Why does Coach Icko have to be so hard on Dan? I don't see why his "non-knowledge" of larger and or more descriptive words should cause Dan to mute his vibrant vocabulary. Shouldn't the kid be aloud to talk however he pleases? (I mean, supposedly this swim team is a "group of misfits" as described by T.J.) The more eccentric the vocabulary, the better.
It also really bothers me that the coach punishes Dan for using 'larger' words because it could be causing him embarrassment in front of his team. If all he wants to do is simply fit in with a group of people for the first time and be able to be himself, a stymied vocabulary would lead to altered personality, which could lead to the possibility of quietness or in Dan distancing himself from the group. I have to say that if I were getting picked in front of a group of people for supposedly not being able to even communicate with them because of how I chose words, or a part of my personality, I'd be ashamed or embarrassed. In the least, a little bit more distant than if I felt comfortable. Coach Icko is pushing Dan away from his teammates simply because he talks with a large vocabulary.
Also what bothers me about this relationship is the representaition of Coach Icko. I think it's 'unfair' to his character. Here we have a homeless man who's willing to give up everything (and I mean everything) just to send his own son to college. For a better education no less! Why is he the one trying to 'dumb down' another student for being educated and using it well? Of all people, I would think that Coach Icko would be right alongside Dan, maybe picking up a few words himself for better presentation. The way he puts Dan down makes Icko seem so...UN-educated. And that's a slight conflict of character, because it's made quite obvious how much he really values education.

7 comments:

Edgar Jananaesropbx said...

Nice Work and keep on striving do the best(Korey)

Alvin Thisisafakelastname said...

...Why's Korey commenting on this??? Well, whatever. I also agree with you about it being kind of odd for him to punish Dan for enhancing his teamates' vocabularies. But it did offer a small amount of some slightly out of place humor in the story. I suppose you could look at it not as punishing him, but as rewarding him by helping him build some uppper body strength. Who knows? But regardless, it did make me laugh a few times.

WhaleTalker said...

Yes, Dan Hole was almost the only piece of comedy in the book. (Besides the honest writing that you may have just made fun of.)It's also true that he gained upper body strength by the end of the book. But did he lose some mind strength while he was doing so?

D.C. Stauffer said...

Yeah, having an enhanced vocabulary is no reason to punish someone. I mean, it was just a bit humorous, if for no other reason than it was the closest thing to comic relief there was in a story that desperatley needed it. It's odd, but Icko is trying to help in his own way.

Rowan Oakhart said...

Something I would also like to comment on...Yeah, it was funny for a while, but somewhere in the middle, it was just kind of like somebody cracking a really bad pun. You know? The halfhearted laugh, then turning around and rolling your eyes?

Alvin Thisisafakelastname said...

Well, I suppose the story really did need some comic relief. I mean "and everyone was finally happy... but it can't end that way, so my dad got shot."

Rowan Oakhart said...

ooh *wince* that was cruel. cruel...but true...